AddThis

1/24/04

Here Lies The Heart: When Mercedes de Acosta Met Ramana Maharshi

Mercedes de Acosta Ramana Maharshi
Here Lies The Heart: When Mercedes de Acosta Met Ramana Maharshi

Mercedes de Acosta asked Ramana Maharshi, " tell me, whom shall I follow--what shall I follow? I have been trying to find this out for years by seeking in religions, in philosophies, in teachings."

Again there was silence. After a few minutes, which seemed to me a long time, he spoke. "You are not telling the truth. You are just using words--just talking. You know perfectly well whom to follow. Why do you need me to confirm it?"

"You mean I should follow my inner self?" I asked.

"I don't know anything about your inner self. You should follow the Self. There is nothing or no one else to follow."

I asked again, "What about religions, teachers, gurus?" More